Tuesday 29 January 2013

Winter Sweet Potato Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette

I saw this recipe on Twitter and just had to make it!  I finally did today and I'm kicking myself for not making it earlier!  I LOVE this salad and I know it's one I will continue to make.  This recipe is taken from Samantha Ferraro (@FerraroKitchen).  Her recipe site is called "The Little Ferraro Kitchen - Celebrating Classic and Cultural Cuisine".  I did not change anything in this recipe, I just didn't add the blue cheese.  I also used mixed greens that were half mixed with spinach.  There is no serving size listed but, I made this for myself for lunch, and I have enough leftover for lunch again tomorrow (lucky me!!)



SALAD
2 cups winter greens mix (kale, mustard greens, spinach, beet greens)
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 onion, sliced
1/2 lb cherry tomatoes
1 oz blue cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper, to taste
Olive oil for drizzling

BLOOD ORANGE VINAIGRETTE
1 blood orange, juiced
2 tangerines (or 1 orange), juiced and zest
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon honey
2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. On a foil lined baking sheet, add sweet potatoes, onions and cherry tomatoes.  Toss with a good drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper.  Roast at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes until everything begins to caramelize.
2.  To make the vinaigrette, add all the ingredients to a mason jar and shake for a few seconds.  
3.  Toss 2 Tablespoons of the vinaigrette with the salad greens in a bowl and place on a plate.  Top with roasted sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes and onions.
4. Store leftover vinaigrette in a small container and store in fridge.  You will have extra.
5.  Top salad with crumbled blue cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment