Tuesday 12 July 2011

Viva Las Veggies

I have to admit that I am not a fan of the authors of Looneyspoons and Crazy Plates.  I do have their new cookbook that I received free from some mail order...Eat, Shrink and Be Merry. I mean really...who can't resist a free cookbook!  Anyway, I made some recipes and I disliked most of it. I tucked Eat, Shrink and be Merry away and forgot about it until, my Mother-in-Law made Viva Las Veggies and I was shocked to find out where it came from.  I make it quite often now.  It makes a great side dish to anything.  If there is leftovers I love making open faced sandwiches with it heated up in the oven the next day.




Viva Las Veggies


4 medium tomatoes, cut into chunks
2 medium zucchini, chopped
2 large portobello mushrooms, chopped 
(using a small spoon, scrape the gills from the underside of the mushrooms)
1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp each olive oil and balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs, such as rosemary, basil, oregano, or thyme
(I always use basil)
1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp dried thyme


1. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.  Add tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onion, and garlic.  Mix well (using your hands works best).  Add olive olive, vinegar, herbs , salt and pepper.  Mix again to coat vegetables with dressing.
2. Roast, uncovered, at 425F for 25 minutes.  while vegetables are roasting, prepare topping.  combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and thyme in a small bowl and mix well.
3. Remove vegetables from oven.  Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over vegetables.  Return to oven for 5 minutes, until cheese is melted and crumbs turn a light golden brown. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment