Tuesday 21 May 2013

Tex-Mex Tortilla Pockets

This recipe is super easy to make.  I cooked my chicken ahead of time, then added the rest of the ingredients once cooled.  This recipe is taken from Kraft's "What's Cooking" magazine Summer 2013.  My kids love Mexican food, so I like to change up our usual recipes.  I found that 1/2 a pound of chicken wasn't enough, I ended up using 3 breasts of chicken and made 6 good sized tortilla pockets.  I did not need the egg to seal the tortillas that I put the refried beans in as they stuck just fine.  I made 3 tortillas without the beans for my kids and used the egg to seal those ones.  I served my tortilla pockets with the left-over refried beans and freshly made guacamole.




2 tablespoons oil, divided
1/2 lb. (225 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup Kraft 3 Cheese Mexicana Finely Shredded Cheese
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup frozen corn
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
6 large flour tortillas
3/4 cup canned retried beans
1 egg, beaten

1. Heat oven to 400F.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet.  Add chicken; cook and stir 4 minutes or until done.  Remove from heat.  Stir in cheese, salsa, corn, cilantro and cumin.
3.  Spread tortillas with beans.  Spoon chicken mixture down centres of tortillas.  Fold in opposite sides of each tortilla, then fold bottom over filling and once again to make rectangular packet.  Brush top edge with egg; press onto packet to seal.  Place, seam-sides down on baking sheet; brush with remaining oil.
4.  Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.  



1 comment: