Wednesday 27 March 2013

Krispie Treat Chicks

I found this great recipe on Twitter just in time for Easter!  I made them up today and they just turned out so cute! I'll  have to make another batch soon.  I used solid chocolate eggs instead of the mini Cadbury eggs since my little ones do not like them. (Although I truly love them and may add them into my next batch) I also don't think I added enough yellow food coloring in my first try.  I could not find the candy coated sunflower seeds in the stores I went to, so I just used an orange mini M&M turned to look like a beak.  The original recipe, which contains lots of helpful pictures, is found at www.cookiesandcups.com/krispie-treat-chicks/   




Ingredients for 1 batch "Basic Rice Krispie Treats" (recipe below)
Yellow food coloring
24 Mini Cadbury Eggs, unwrapped
Chocolate covered sunflower seeds
Mini brown M&Ms or mini chocolate chips
Mini white cupcake liners

1. Make "Basic Rice Krispie Treats" according to directions, but as soon as the marshmallows are ALMOST melted, add in your yellow food coloring.  Use as much or little as you would like to reach desired effect.
2. Immediately add in cereal and allow to cool for just a few minutes, so the Cadbury Egg does not melt.
3. Using about 1/4 cup of Krispie mixture, form a ball around each Cadbury Egg, placing on parchment lined baking sheet.
4. Press orange sunflower seed vertically on to ball, to mimic a beak, and 2 mini M&Ms or chocolate chips for the eyes.
5. Place each in a mini white cupcake liner for presentation. 

Notes:
Store airtight for up to 2 days, although, best if eaten the same day, as with any Krispie treat.




Basic Rice Krispie Treats
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (10 oz, about 20) regular marshmallows
-OR-
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal

1. In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat.  Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.  Remove from heat.
2. Add Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal.  Stir until well coated.

No comments:

Post a Comment