Tuesday 19 June 2012

Hamburger and Chili Soup

I've now decided to try the library for some new recipes and I found this gem of a cookbook, Ken's Soup Krazy by Ken Kostick.  A chef known for his great soups!  Even though I have to take my great find back, I will always have the recipes here.  My husband said this was one of his favorites.  I used ground chicken since I don't eat red meat, and ground turkey wasn't available at my grocery store that day. 


1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 28-oz can stewed tomatoes, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 carrot, shredded
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup cooked red beans
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
7 cups low-fat vegetable stock
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander

1.  In a large soup pot, saute the ground beef for 5 minutes or until no longer pink.  Remove and drain on paper towel.  In the same pot, combine the stewed tomatoes and their juice, celery, red pepper, onion, carrot, garlic, beans, chili powder, basil, salt, black pepper, hot pepper flakes, bay leaf and stock.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.  Remove the bay leaf.  Garnish with coriander and serve immediately.  

Serves 8
Variation: Replace the lean ground beef with lean ground turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment