Thursday 28 July 2011

Ratatouille

This is my most favorite meal ever.  I make it when I cook a red meat dish for my family.  My husband calls it glorified spaghetti sauce and doesn't touch it...more for me I say!  I usually have it with a fresh crusty bun. This recipe was taken from The New Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen.





Ratatouille
3 Tbsp olive oil
4 medium cloves garlic
2 cups chopped onion
1 bay leaf
1 medium eggplant (7 to 8 inches long; 4 to 5 inch diameter), cubed
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp marjoram or oregano
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme
1 medium (6 to 7 inch) zucchini, cubed
2 medium bell peppers, in strips
fresh black pepper
1 14 1/2 oz can tomatoes

1. Heat olive oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven.  Add garlic, onion, and bay leaf, and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
2. Add eggplant, salt, and herbs, and stir.  Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the eggplant is soft.
3. Add zucchini, bell peppers, black pepper, and tomatoes. (Break the tomatoes into smaller pieces with a spoon).  Cover and simmer for about 10 more minutes, or until the zucchini and bell peppers are tender.
4. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature - plain, or topped with parsley and/or olives.

No comments:

Post a Comment